Kristel Penn received her Bachelor of Arts from George Washington University and holds a Marketing Certificate from Santa Monica College. She is currently enrolled at Southern California University in their MA in Psychology program.
Penn is the Marketing and Editorial Director at Grooby, the leading producer of trans erotica. With nearly ten years of experience, she has worked diligently as an advocate within her industry to promote visibility and empowerment through sex positivity. In 2018, she entered Antioch University's MA in Clinical Psychology program.
Her workshop on destigmatizing the adult industry and porn consumption, co-presented with LMFT Traci Medeiros, was presented at the Contemporary Relationships Conference, Woodhull Sexual Freedom Summit, and as part of Kink.com's educational track.
Grooby is also the creator of the Transgender Erotica Awards, which celebrates the accomplishments of the trans adult community. Held in Los Angeles, the TEAs have been expanded to include three days of events: a pre-party, fan convention, and awards ceremony. Kristel is the main organizer of the TEAs, which includes securing sponsors, marketing and brand visibility, and running all three events itself. Visit TheTEAShow.com for more information.
In 2016, along with fellow board members Buck Angel and Steven Grooby, she helped create the non-profit organization TAIF (Trans Adult Industry Foundation). TAIF provides life-affirming support services and resources to trans people, with a specific focus on the needs of performers in the adult industry.
Kristel is the 2017 XBIZ Industry Exec Award for Brand Ambassador of the Year for her work at Grooby. The company also won numerous awards at both XBIZ and AVN in 2017, including Trans Studio of the Year (XBIZ) and Trans Release of the Year for Real Fucking Girls (XBIZ, AVN, and the TEAs). The marketing campaign she spearheaded for Real Fucking Girls was also nominated at AVN this past year. Recently she was nominated for the 2018 XBIZ Industry Exec Award for Marketing Executive of the Year.
She is a published author whose essay is included in Dan Savage's best-selling book, It Gets Better: Coming Out, Overcoming Bullying, and Creating a Life Worth Living. She is also featured in Dave Naz's book, Genderqueer and Other Gender Identities and appears in Naz's upcoming book, Identity: In & Beyond the Binary.
For a full listing of speaking engagements, awards, and publications, head on over to the Portfolio page.
- Weed Porn: How Two Taboos Became Popular Bedfellows - Rolling Stone (2018)
- How Mainstream Porn is Finally Making Room for Trans Performers - Glamour (2017)
- This Leading Trans Porn Company Is Wiping Slurs from Its Site - Vice (2017)
- How sex positive transgender porn is helping people - Independent (2017)
- Kristel Penn is Interviewed in U.K.'s Independent - XBIZ (2017)
- Celebrating Trans Porn: Kristel Penn Talks About the 9th Annual Transgender Erotica Awards - Stockroom (2017)
- Execs of 2016: Online Brand Ambassadors Discuss Personal Strategies - XBIZ (2017)
- Grooby's Marketing Chief is Simply Groovy - XBIZ (2016)
- CJ Asher interviews Kristel Penn of Grooby.com - CJ Asher (2016)